Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Master Bedroom Redo: Halfway There

In June of this year, we will have been in our house for 7 years. And for the most part our house has stayed pretty much the same. We have added new pieces of furniture here and there. Jason made a few built-ins to make life with three kiddos a little more organized. Most of the rooms in our house have stayed the same colors that we painted when we first moved in....partly because we love the colors we choose and partly because our ten foot ceilings make repainting a major affair. 

However, as we get closer to the anniversary of our moving in I think I am starting to get the "7 Year Itch"! I have more than a few projects on my mind {including a playroom makeover, under stair storage, and a breakfast nook bench} BUT the major thing that I really want to redo right now is our master bedroom. Maybe it's because we just recently rearranged some furniture and added an armoire to our bedroom, or maybe it' because our old bedding was getting tired...either way, last week I set out to make a few changes in our master bedroom.
Before:
The before is not too terrible. I really like the color of our walls and the bedding was a great match....kind of neutral with just the right shade of turquoise in it. However, you can tell that our bedding has seen better days, and after at least four years of rough and tumble boys who think mommy and daddy's bed is a trampoline....it really needed to go. My dilemma when picking out new bedding was the fact that I knew Jason didn't want to repaint, and I really wanted to change up the color palette a little bit.
After:
After finding this black and white bedding at Target, I decided that maybe adding in a little red was just the right way to change up the color in our room. I also worked on removing as much of the brown and tan colors as possible {like the lampshade}. I think the contrast between the walls and the bedding is too strong, so I still need to find some pillows to help incorporate the wall color onto the bed....and I think I need to add a little bit of red to the wall too. All in all I think I am off to a good start, but I am keeping all my packaging and receipts just in case I change my mind:)
*************
So what do you think?!? Good change, or not so great?
I would love some suggestions on other ways to change up the room or specific fabrics or bedding that you think might look great in this space.
Pin It!

24 comments:

Kelli said...

I absolutely LOVE the red! It's stunning.

FrouFrouBritches said...

Oh my gracious! I love it! Aqua, red and black are my favorite color combo right now. I'm doing my kids bathroom in those colors. I love it!!!! That bedding is GREAT!

Foursons said...

I love it. I think the turquoise and red are complimentary. Maybe you can find a rug w/all the colors to tie it altogether?

Kmama said...

I really love it!! Adding a couple turquoise throw pillows and maybe a black and white photo with a red frame, or one red detail to the wall would be awesome.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Oooh, I love it! Wow - what a difference. It has so much personality now!!!

So pretty!

xox
Jen

Unknown said...

I love it! I think it really brightened up the wall color too!

Anonymous said...

I just fell in love with this! SOOOO pretty!

Lyndsey said...

I think it looks great!! The bedding is adorable!! And I love the wall color!! Way to go to you for not being afraid of some color :)

Carrie said...

Wow, Kelli, that made a great new change! I love the blue wall color...it's similar to our bathroom color and I added an orange rug to make a change and I love how those two colors look together! We are ready to change our bedroom too...we've never done anything to it since we moved and it's been 8 years already! I think pillows always pull it all together! Looks GREAT!

Joanna said...

That color combo is hot right now! I think some pillows or a rug as a suggestion above with all the colors would be perfect to tie it all together.

Anonymous said...

I agree with joanna. This is a popular palette right night and I love it! I like it because it's not too feminine and not too masculine.

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

I LOVE it, Kelli! I think it is gorgeous, and just the right color combo to give it a POP! :)

Angie said...

I think you are on the right track! It is lovely and I love it! Can you help me redo mine too?

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I think you did a great job! Katertot was right on the money--not too masculine and not too feminine. That's a mistake I think a lot of wives make: going too girlie. Wonderful job. :)

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I love it!!
I'm a big fan of red with turquoise so I think it looks great!
and the fact that you found the bedding at Target?!?! even better :)

Jolene said...

I love it! Great transformation with just a few simple changes. I liked the comment with getting a black and white photo in a red frame for your wall,

LBB said...

Love the change!! The bedding is beautiful! Great color combo :)

Lexie Loo, Lily, Liam & Dylan Too said...

I love the black and white bedding with the turquoise walls!

Chandra Chinnis said...

I like the colors. It looks great!!!!!

Myya said...

I think I kind of like the contrast between the wall & the red. It looks chic & modern. I soooo wanna redo my WHOLE ENTIRE HOUSE!!! LOL

Courtana said...

Actually love the bedding w/the bold wall color, cheers!

Unknown said...

I think it looks great! I wouldn't change a thing. It has a great boutique feel. Well done.

Dee said...

We have black and white with red accents too! BUT in our next house I'm painting the walls a green color and still doing black and white. Saw it at this nice, fancy house and fell in love!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

I like it! What an amazing change with just fabric. I like the new shades on the lamps. That's a pretty amazing change by itself too. It changed the look of them instantly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...