Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Upcycled Wooden Nativity

I pinned this really adorable Wooden Nativity a few months ago. {The original idea came from Learning to Be Me and I have seen similar ideas a few other places online too}. When I first pinned it, I figured I would either get Jason to stop and pick up some lumber from the hardware store, or I would raid his pile of wood scraps to find what I needed. But one day I glanced out the back door and noticed this:
If you can't tell what this is, I'll enlighten you:) This is a cute wooden table set {there are two chairs in the set too} that my boys got second hand from my aunt. It survived in our playroom for a few years, and then got moved to the clubhouse a few years later. Needless to say the boys were kind of rough on the table and chairs...a few of the chair slats got broken, as did one of the legs to the table. This table was actually in the trash/burn pile until I decided it would be perfect for the adorable Wooden Nativity sets! The legs of the table were the perfect size for Mary and Joseph and the broken slats from the chairs were just right to make a few Baby Jesus figures.

I don't have any pics of the process...mostly because I was using power tools by myself and I figured operating a saw and my camera at the same time wasn't the best idea ever:)

After I broke off the other three table legs, I used the dimensions from my inspiration {6 inches for Joseph & 5 inches for Mary}, marked the wooden legs with a pencil, and then cut them to size. The Baby Jesus pieces were cut from the chair slats and I made them 2 1/2 inches tall. Joseph got a coat of tan spray paint, Mary got a lovely shade of blue, and I painted the Baby Jesus pieces white. Then I painted the heads an off white/yellowish color {just because that is what I had on hand}. 
After all the paint was dry, I borrowed Jason's superglue and attached the heads to each of the figures {Mary & Joseph's heads are 1 3/4 inch wooden balls and Baby Jesus' head is a 1 1/4 inch wooden ball that I picked up at Hobby Lobby.} I let the superglue dry for about 20 minutes, then I tied the three pieces together with some raffia. I'm planning on adding a little note with Merry Christmas and the year to the back of each set with vinyl and then giving them out as Christmas presents to a few family members. Not a bad gift considering it started out as a broken table!
Pin It!

10 comments:

Kelli said...

Kelli, your creativity amazes me...these are TOO CUTE! I even love how you strung them together. LOVE IT!

Sugarplum Creations Blog said...

Oh my goodness, I LOVE it! We don't have a nativity, and I want one!! Yours is so beautifully and simply gorgeous!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Great project! I think the recipients of this gift will love it.

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh so sweet!! You're a crafty genius, Kelli. :)

Jenny said...

That is so cute!

Miller Racing Family said...

Wow, I love how simple that looks. Thanks or sharing. Merry Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Wow I love this! Kelli I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Joan said...

Hey, quick question- I found a link on pinterest for a wagon cushion and the link was to your blog, but I can't seem to find a post about it here...

Linda @ it all started with paint said...

That is a really clever -- and very original -- idea. Just love it! I hope I can remember it for next year ... darn that stupid Pinterest. I just haven't had time to figure it all out yet ...

Unknown said...

Each of these projects are so cute! I can't believe I am just following you now! As a teacher, I would love one of those paint cans! So cute! Thanks for the sweet comment on my LEGO bathroom makeover! My kids are 11 and 8 and still enjoying it!! :) Have a Happy New Year!! xo, Reannah @ShapedbyGrace.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...