Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Friday, March 23, 2012

Embroidery Hoop Easter Wreaths

My front doors have been bare since the week after Valentine's Day. For some reason I just couldn't get myself motivated to make something cute and springy to cover up my bare front doors. Maybe it's because I've been SUPER busy with a bunch of nothing....or maybe it's because the weather has been fluctuating between pouring rain and ridiculous heat {at least for March anyway}. Whatever the reason, I figured since we only have a couple of weeks until Easter I should get busy making something kind of spring like before I miss my chance and summer is here!

As I was walking through the fabric store last week looking for some fun green fabric for the Airstream, I noticed these oval shaped embroidery hoop. The first thing I thought when I saw them was that they look just like an egg...I guess that's about right since eggs are oval shaped:) Anyway, I stuck them in my tiny cart on top of with Eli and walked around the store for a while trying to talk myself into buying them. They were kind of expensive {about $13 each, though they did have smaller size that was only $8} to just hang on my front door for a few weeks, but after stumbling across some cute polka dot and paisley fabrics on clearance I decided to buy them and see what I could create.
 cute springy {clearance} fabrics:
 Start by laying out the hoops and cutting the fabric just a little bit bigger than the outside of the hoop.
 Then use a screwdriver to open up the hoop and place the fabric between the two pieces. Pull the fabric until it is smooth, and then tighten the hoop back up with your screwdriver.
 After you have the hoop tightened, turn it over and use a sharp pair of scissors to trim off the excess fabric. 
  Once you have the base of the wreath finished, you can embellish your egg shaped wreaths anyway you want! I created a couple of pennants with a pattern, a sharpie, and some coordinating fabric. Then I hot glued the pennants pieces onto a strip of raffia and attached that to the outside edge of the embroidery hoop. I also added a small sign that says "Happy Easter" with a flower rosette.
 These were really simple to make, and they are the perfect spring addition to my front doors! My favorite part about this project is that you can take the basic idea of an egg shaped embroidery hoop wreath and really turn it into anything you want for Easter!

Linking up here..
Tatertots and Jello
Serenity Now
Someday Crafts
Skip to my Lou
Pin It!

15 comments:

Kelli said...

I need you to come visit and teach me all of your craftiness! I have never seen oval hoops like that...they are perfect.

Kmama said...

Those are super cute. You could even paint the embroidery hoops to match...but knowing you, you'll change up the fabric each year and then they might not match. ;-)

Unknown said...

What a clever & cute idea! Seriously- how do you think of these awesome crafts? You're just awesome momma!
-Kendall
{songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

PS: I'm having a give-away and would love for you to enter!

laxsupermom said...

What a cute idea! Love the polka dot fabric! Thanks for sharing.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I love them!

Darcie said...

Have I ever told you how much I love your front door...and every thing you end up putting on them? I do!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

I agree with ^Darcie :)
You have the best door decor around!!!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

These are so great! Simple and Sweet! I hope you will link up to my Hippity Hop Easter Project Hop.

http://www.itsybitsypaperblog.com/2012/03/hippity-hop-easter-project-hop.html

carissa said...

how fancy! total cuteness. these embroidery wreaths are all the rage. love em!

Richella Parham said...

These are darling! Isn't it fun to splurge sometimes? And really, the price you paid wasn't too bad! It's a challenge to come up with two wreaths, isn't it? Good thing you're a creative woman!

Dee said...

So cute!! I JUST put up some Easter stuff yesterday, I'm SOOO behind this year! :)

Foursons said...

I don't own a single Easter decoration. When we color eggs I like to put them in a bowl and display them. I am pathetic.

Anonymous said...

So cute. I really should get the very few Easter decorations I have out. I'm such a lazy mom lately though:(

Myya said...

What a great idea for those hoops! Those turned out super cute, like everthing else you touch. You have the gift for sure!!!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys said...

Pretty fabric, Kelli!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...